Top 10 Tips for Choosing Your Dream Wedding Photographer
Finding your dream wedding photographer can be an exhausting process! We don’t want you to be overwhelmed this early in the wedding planning process, so here are some tips to make things easier when choosing your wedding photographer:
- Ask Around. Who did your friends use for their wedding day where they were just blown away? From any of your friends’ wedding photos, whose photos did you just LOVE? Word of mouth is everything and is such a great and easy way to find your photographer!
- Instagram. Check out the feeds from some photographers you stalk. If you’re new to wedding photographer stalking, in Toledo, #toledoweddingphotographer is a super popular hashtag! If you’re not local to Toledo, search your city and ass wedding photographer at the end to see relevant photographers in your area. And remember, photographer’s do travel! If you’re obsessed with a photographer in Toledo and you’re in Chicago, they’ll most likely come to you for a travel fee (we love to!). You’ll see so many more photos stalking on Instagram than you will by going to a bunch of different websites and comparing your favorites.
- Know Your Style. Do you love photos with a vintage vibe? Candids? More traditional posed photos? There is a photographer for every style and every couple. Find what you’re drawn to and choose a photographer based on that. It’s VERY important that you find a style that aligns with your style….you’ll be looking at these photos 5, 10, 20 years down the road!
- Personalities. Seriously, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. You’re with your photographer all day. If you meet someone who makes rainbows and moonbeams shoot out of your eyes and you fall in love, say YES and grab them while you can! You’re with your wedding photographer on the single most important day of your life – the day you officially start your lives together – and you want someone there that you’re comfortable and familiar with.
- Ask Other Vendors. Maybe finding the perfect florist to execute your unique vision is what you’ve always dreamed of. More than likely, that florist has some photographers they rave about! They’ll be able to give you all kinds of recommendations past just a wedding photographer.
- Read the Reviews. Reviews just don’t lie. A photographer can have all kinds of things to say about themselves and then you read the reviews and see that what they are saying isn’t translating to their couples. You need to find someone you trust who isn’t going to underdeliver on your wedding day. Check out The Knot and WeddingWire for the most reviews in a single location.
- Go With Your Gut. I am such a big advocate on this! Similar to #4, if you met with someone or saw their website and just CONNECTED and what they say resonated – REACH OUT! If you have met them and you just know they are it, BOOK THEM!
- Know Your Budget, But Know What Good Photography Costs. Good photography isn’t cheap and cheap photography isn’t good. Don’t blow your budget, but know that after your wedding day is said and done, you’ll be left with these memories and not much more! Plan on spending at least $3,000 in Toledo for a quality wedding photographer. And make sure it is for 2 people, because 2 is always better than 1.
- Their Views Should Align With Yours. Are you in love with a photographer that specializes in elegant weddings with lavish details but you are having a low-key rustic wedding? Consider if they’ll be outside of their element.
- Think About What You Want. Digital files only versus an album, a photographer that will be loud and directional versus someone soft-spoken and more in the background? Research and dive deep into thinking about how your photographer will act, dress, and what they’ll be delivering you after the wedding day is said and done.