Having worked as a wedding photographer for over a decade, I’ve had numerous encounters with jittery couples. Prior to the commencement of the ceremony, they’re excited and animated while mingling with their loved ones. However, the moment a photographer shows up with their camera, they abruptly become tense and overthink the process and moments.
It’s understandable — after all, you’ve spent a lot of time planning your big day, which means you’re probably thinking about how to look good in your wedding photos. But unless you want to end up looking like a statue on your wedding day, there are some simple things you can do to relax in front of the camera for your wedding photos:
Don’t be afraid to kiss — on camera!
- It can seem intimidating at first, but this is actually one of my favorite parts about shooting weddings. It helps create a more intimate feeling between you and your partner during photo sessions, which leads to more genuine smiles throughout your album later on down the line.
Get a good night’s sleep
- This helps with stress and can make you more relaxed overall. If you’re not sleeping well or enough, consider taking melatonin before bedtime to help improve sleep quality.
- Eating breakfast will give you energy for all that walking around taking pictures and partying throughout the day! Also, when I’m hungry, I get cranky and I know I am not alone! So make sure to eat something nutritious before leaving your hotel room on the wedding day.
- Plan ahead so that there is nothing stressful on your mind during portrait time. That means not worrying about anything else but having fun!
Don’t force a smile — let it come naturally!
- It’s important not to overthink your facial expressions; being too focused can make you look stiff or unnatural. Smile naturally when posing for photos with family members or friends, but avoid forced smiles (which can make your cheeks hurt!) If you feel like you’re smiling too much or making a silly face at every photo opportunity, just relax your face and smile naturally again.
Be silly and playful!
- Talk about something funny or silly with your partner rather than focusing on all of the things that could go wrong during the photo shoot. Laughter is contagious, so this might help put everyone else around you at ease as well!
Stand up straight!
- You know that saying that the camera adds ten pounds? Slouching and leaning forward makes you look heavier than you really are. Stick your shoulders back, keep your chin up and keep your weight on one leg as much as possible.
Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life, and your wedding photographs are a treasure that will last forever. By following these tips, you can ensure that you capture the best moments and look stunning in your wedding pictures. Remember to relax, have fun, and be yourself. With the right photographer and a little bit of preparation, you can create beautiful memories that you will cherish for a lifetime.